Exercise 60. Comment on the use of the Present, Past or Future Indefinite (Active Voice) and translate the sentences into Russian: A 1. Most English courts exercise jurisdiction in both civil and
54 A Grammar of English Practice Book for Law Students
2. Civil actions take place between two and more litigants.
3. Inns of Court jointly conduct the bar examinations.
4. Barristers dine together, they use the same libraries, and
many of them have ofﬁces or chambers in or near their Inns.
5. Solicitors usually interview clients and witnesses.
6. When Mary gets to the ofﬁce she always checks her e-mail
7. The legislation comes into force on the 1st of October.
8. Jurors listen to the evidence at the trial and give their verdict
on the facts.
9. The House of Lords hears appeals from the Court of Appeal.
10. The police carry out arrests, searches, and seizures.
11. Napoleonic Code refers to the entire body of French law
contained in ﬁve codes dealing with civil, commercial, and criminal
12. The agreement does not preclude further agreements be-
tween the parties in future.
B 1. The solicitor failed to prepare the documents in time.
2. The Counsel for the defence put a plea for mercy.
3. He admitted to the police that he had stolen the money.
4. The police persuaded us that it was too dangerous.
5. The accused denied all knowledge of the crime, but no one
6. Two hours ago the police inspector interrogated both the
suspects and witnesses.
7. Common law evolved from the tribal and local laws of Eng-
8. Article 1 of the Criminal Law Act 1967 abolished the classiﬁ-
cation of crimes into felonies and misdemeanours.
9. Attorneys for both the defence and prosecution tried to show
their evidence in the most favourable light.
10. Yesterday the police made an ofﬁcial statement that they
believed the suspect to be guilty.
11. The Constitutional Reform Act 2005 introduced some major
changes to the British constitution.
12. When William the Conqueror gained the English throne
in 1066, he established a strong central government.
Сборник упражнений по грамматике английского языка для студентов-юристов
13. Robert Peel (1788–1850) introduced the Metropolitan Police
Act of 1829 and set up an organised police force in London.
14. After the accident he sued the company for $50,000 in dam-
C 1. Very soon computer technology will change the way we con-
duct business and interact with each other.
2. The prosecutor will conduct the case in court on behalf of
3. The jury will decide whether the accused is guilty or not, and
the judge will decide on the sentence to be imposed.
4. Will you explain the core of the problem to us without going
5. Tomorrow the police will interview a number of witnesses of
6. My client intends to appeal and I am sure that the higher
court will overturn his sentence.
7. In my opinion they will value the business at about $ 2 mil-