VIII. Переведите английские пословицы и дайте русский эквивалент. объясните смысл пословиц по-английски. Проиллюстрируйте упот- ребление одной из пословиц в конкретной ситуации. 1. If you can`t have the best, make the best of what you have.
2. As you made your bed you must lie on it.
3. Accidents can happen in the best-regulated families.
4. Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do today.
5. You can take the horse to the water, but you can`t make it drink.
6.The wolf may lose his teeth, but never his nature.
IX. Прослушайте и прочитайте следующие шутки. Назовите модаль- ные глаголы. инсценируйте шутки.
1) T e a c h e r: Children, can you tell me what travels faster heat or cold?
P u p i l: of course heat, because you can catch cold easily.
2) G i r l: Boby, you must wash your hands.
L i t t l e b r o t h e r: Both of them?
G i r l: No, just one, I want to see how you can do it.
X. Прочитайте диалог, заполните пропуски модальными глаголами can, couldn’t, may, mustn’t, can’t or (not) be allowed to. воспроизведите диалог в парах. Joe:… I go to the cinema tonight?
Mrs Stone: You know you … go out during the week.
Joe: But I … go out last Saturday either. I think dad is too strict.
Mrs Stone: You … speak about your father like that. He’s doing what he
thinks is best.
Joe: … I have some friends over, then?
Mrs Stone: I’m afraid you … we’re having some friends to dinner.
Joe: … I at least watch TV for a while?
Mrs Stone: Yes, you …, but only after you’ve done your homework.
Joe: But I haven’t got any homework!
Mrs Stone: oh! well, in that case, you … go out, but you … be home late.
Joe: I’ll be home by 11, I promise.
XI. Прочитайте диалог, заполните пропуски модальными глаголами should, shouldn’t, ought to. воспроизведите диалог в парах. David: You … really do something about your car.
Sally: what do you mean?
David: It’s in terrible condition. You … get a new one before the police stop
Sally: But I can’t afford a new one!
David: well, you … at least have the exhaust seen to. And you … have the
brakes repaired before you kill somebody.
Sally: I suppose I … . But you … lend me some money to pay for the
David: Sally, have you spent the money I lent you last week? You … have
spent it all!
XII. Прочитайте текст, заполните пропуски модальными глаголами mustn’t, needn’t or can’t. Расскажите о правилах поведения в вашем учебном заведении. In this school students … smoke and … chew gums. Students … wear school
uniforms, but they … wear dirty clothes. Girls … wear make up. Students …
leave school until 3 pm. They … forget to do their homework. They … bring a
doctor’s note if they are sick. older students … park their cars in the teachers’
car park. Students … walk or ride their bikes across the grass. Students … be late
for class or talk loudly in lessons. Students … forget these rules, but teachers …
obey them as they have a separate set of rules to follow.
test 15 1. You … hardly find a building in Washington more than 40 meters high. A. can’t
2. Soldiers … have short hair. A. needn’t
C. has to
B. have to
3. … I ask you to close the window? A. may
4. You … eat less bread and potatoes not to be fat. A. can
C. ought to
5. Sally … play volleyball last night, as she hurt her hand. A. couldn’t
6. the last bus had gone and we … go home on foot. A. were to
C. had to
B. will have to
7. It was a holiday and we … get up early. A. didn’t have to
d. had to
8. My eyesight is getting worse. Next year I’m afraid I … to read without glasses. A. can’t
B. may not
d. won’t be able
9. Jack broke his leg yesterday. he … to take part in competitions next week. A. couldn’t
B. won’t be able
d. wasn’t allowed
10. Some animals … walk just after their birth. A. are to
11. Children under 16 … to visit english pubs , though some pubs have children’s room. A. aren’t allowed
B. aren’t able
12. All the seats in the stalls were sold, so we … buy the tickets in the pit. A. needed to
C. were allowed to
B. had to
d. were to
13. how … she say such nasty things about me! A. must
14. Sorry, I … ring you up yesterday, I was so busy. A. could
15. … to get up early yesterday to meet the delegation at the airport? A. did you have
C. had you
B. do you have
d. will you have
16. Who helped you to solve this problem? – Nobody, I … do it myself. A. have to
B. had to
d. will have to
17. … you possibly mail my money order, please? A. would
18. how many exams … to take at the end of the next school year? A. will you have
C. must you
B. do you have
d. you should
19. he has to work hard to make progress, …? A. doesn’t he
B. hasn’t he
20. one … to be very careful when driving a car. A. ought
d. is able to
ПРичАСТие (THe PArTICIPLe)
I. образуйте Participle I от следующих глаголов и переведите их на рус- ский язык. To build, to grow, to get, to bring, to do, to move, to go, to follow, to carry, to
enter, to tell, to teach, to learn, to make, to get, to begin, to keep, to leave, to use,
to take, to lose, to explain, to pass, to take.
II. образуйте Participle II от следующих глаголов и переведите их на русский язык. To find, to send, to keep, to do, to bring, to tell, to show, to read, to make,
to see, to give, to speak, to know, to say, to write, to change, to take, to play, to
clean, to develop, to build, to leave, to think, to teach, to achieve, to save.
III. Прочитайте и переведите на русский язык следующие словосочета- ния, обращая внимание на форму причастия. 1) the students making a research, the workers building a new house, the
engineer using a new method, the plan containing many details, the growing
population of the country, all developing countries, the boy saving his dog;
2) moving at high speed, talking to the dean, leaving the town, constructing
the bridge, getting an important information, reading a newspaper, using a new
method, making a report, cleaning the flat, discussing a new plan;
3) having entered the institute, having passed all exams, having done the
homework, having cleaned the floor, having returned home, having written a
letter, having sent the SMS, having watched TV, having listened to the news,
having made a mistake, having discussed the plan;
4) all developed countries, a well-known writer, the achieved results, the
lost documents, the book left on the table, the news brought by him, the land
discovered by Columbus, the boy saved by the dog, the recycled plastic bottles.
IV. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на форму причастий. 1) The food containing protein is necessary for young bodies.
The conference taking place in Moscow is devoted to peace.
The students taking exams in english are allowed to use dictionaries.
2) Moving at high speed the driver couldn’t stop the car at once.
reading a magazine I didn’t notice my parents come home.
Hearing the news he turned pale.
3) Having finished the experiment the students went home.
Having left the luggage at the airport they went to the cafй.
Having failed once she doesn’t want to try again.
Having been advised by the doctor to go to the south she decided to leave
Having been shown the wrong way we couldn’t find his house.
4) She entered the room accompanied by her mother.
The essays written by the children were lying on the teacher’s table.
Many environmentally-conscious people today refuse to buy goods made
from tropical hardwoods.
5) The question being discussed now is very important.
The bridge being built between the two towns will be finished next
Being well prepared for the test I passed it successfully.
Being unemployed he felt miserable and unhappy.
V. выберите правильную форму причастия. 1. Mary told us a lot of (amusing, amused) stories about her childhood.
2. The woman (living, lived) next door is not very friendly. 3. Children (attending,
attended) public schools in england must wear uniforms. 4. The books (taking,
taken) from the library must be returned in ten days. 5. The Patagonia Company
in Colifornia makes jackets from (recycled, recycling) plastic bottles. 6. The
(speaking, spoken) doll interested the child very much. 7. I want to show you a
picture (painted, painting) by Aivasovsky. 8. It was not easy to find the (losing,
lost) documents. 9. The books (writing, written) by dickens described england
of the 19 century. 10. (educated, educating) person in the face of a globe is
deprived if he doesn’t know english. 11. She didn’t pay attention to the (ringing,
rung) telephone. 12. The dish (consisting, consisted) of rice and vegetables is
not fattening. 13. James has his own car business and sixty people (working,
worked) for him. 14. Alice knows some of the languages (speaking, spoken) in
Africa. 15. In 1762 the earl of Sandwich invented a snack (containing, contained)
two pieces of bread and meat in the middle. 16. I don’t know how this camera
works! The instructions are really (confused, confusing).
VI. Составьте предложения, используя конструкцию have something done, и переведите их на русский язык. О б р а з е ц: teeth – examine. I want to have my teeth examined.
eyes – test
Hair – cut
Nails – manicure
Shirts – iron
Shoes – polish
Mixer – fix
Photo – take
dress – make
VII. Переведите следующие предложения, обращая внимание на неза- висимый причастный оборот. 1. The weather being fine, they went to the beach. 2. All the problems having
been solved, they stopped the discussion. 3. There being a lot of things to discuss,
the meeting lasted for two hours. 4. Computers having become a necessity in the
US workplace, students in the 21 century need to become computer literate.
5. There are a lot of museums in London, the most famous being the British
Museum. 6. The experiment having been made, everybody was interested in the
results. 7. The mother was cooking, her daughter helping her. 8. The working
day being over, the city transport was overcrowded. 9. we all went away, he
remaining in the office. 10. oliver rose and walked along the park, all his dogs
VIII. Переведите предложения на английский язык. 1. пища, содержащая много соли, вредна для здоровья. 2. заканчивая
институт, студенты получают диплом о высшем образовании. 3. Фильм, по-
казанный детям, был смешной. 4. Не зная материал урока, ученик не смог
ответить на вопросы учителя. 5. будучи занятой, она отказалась от наше-
го приглашения. 6. используя новое оборудование, студенты закончили
опыт вовремя. 7. изучая элементы, Менделеев обнаружил, что их можно
разделить на девять групп. 8. Книги, написанные этим ученым, известны
во всем мире. 9. Как зовут профессора, читающего лекции по философии?
10. вот письмо, полученное мною вчера. 11. посмотрите на эти чудесные
цветы, собранные детьми! 12. было нелегко найти потерянные докумен-
ты. 13. прочитав журнал, она положила его на полку. 14. будучи хорошо
подготовленным к экзамену, я сдал его на отлично. 15. Не имея большого
опыта, Саманта не могла рассчитывать на должность старшего менеджера.
16. я хочу, чтобы мне погладили рубашку. 17. я хочу сфотографироваться.
18. проблема, которую сейчас обсуждают, очень важна. 19. переходя ули-
цу, следует посмотреть налево, а затем – направо. 20. Ребенок с интересом
слушает сказки, рассказываемые няней.
IX. Переведите английские пословицы и дайте русский эквивалент. объясните смысл пословиц по-английски. Проиллюстрируйте упот- ребление одной из пословиц в конкретной ситуации. 1. Money spent on brain is never spent in vain.
2. A drowning man will catch at a straw.
3. Lost time is never found again.
4. Barking dogs never bite.
5. Forbidden fruit is sweet.
6. First come, first served.
7. once bitten, twice shy.
X. Прослушайте и прочитайте следующие шутки. Назовите Participle I, II. инсценируйте шутки. 1) A mother and her little girl were walking along the street. Suddenly a big
dog rushed from the house and began to bark at the girl. She was afraid very
much, but the mother calmed her down and said: “don’t worry, dear! do you
know that barking dogs never bite.” “Yes, I do,” – said the girl, - “But does the
dog know it?”
2) M o l l y: what’s the matter with the leading actress? She’s got only nine
C l a r e n c e: oh, but isn’t that enough?
M o l l y: But she paid for ten.
XI. Прочитайте диалог, используя глаголы в скобках в конструкции have something done. Jane and Linda are models. Jane does everything herself but Linda is lazy and
has everything done for her.
Jane: I like doing my own hair. I usually wash it every two days.
Linda: I don’t. I (to wash) every day by my hairdresser.
Jane: I dyed my hair yesterday.
Linda: oh! I (to dye) last week.
Jane: I enjoy doing my own make-up too, don’t you?
Linda: oh no. I (to do) by a beautician.
Jane: I make my own clothes. I like things you can’t buy in shops.
Linda: I (to make) by my dressmaker. She’s very good.
Jane: Sometimes I even repair my own car. I’m quite a good mechanic.
Linda: How horrible! I (to repair) at the garage. It’s cheap and I don’t get
my clothes dirty.
Jane: But it’s easy to wash your clothes, isn’t it?
Linda: I prefer (to wash) at the cleaner’s.
Jane: I’ve got to go now. I’m going to polish my nails.
Linda: You should do what I do. I (to polish) by a manicurist.
XII. Прочитайте диалог, используя Participle I или Participle II. воспро- изведите диалог в парах. Paul:You must be very (excite). Paris is a (fascinate) city. There are so many
(interest) things to do. You won’t be (bore).
Molly:well, I’m a bit (worry) because I can’t speak French very well.
Paul:You should buy a phrase book and then you won’t be (embarrass) if
someone speaks to you. They won’t be (annoy) if you make a mistake, and most
people will be (please) if you ask for something in French.
Molly:I’m sure they’ll find my accent very (amuse).
Paul: don’t be silly. I’m sure you’ll have a very (stimulate) holiday.
test 16 1. Several guide- books appeared at present ... advice on international etiquette. A. at giving
C. having given
2. ... so little of the country I can’t give a full answer to all your ques- tions. A. being seen
B. having seen
d. having been seen
3. the ... man was suspected of breaking into the house. A. arresting
B. being arrested
d. having arrested
4. he sat on the sofa, lit a cigarette and saw a letter ... for him on the desk. A. waiting
C. being waited
d. having waited
5. ... a telegram one should use as few words as possible. A. having written
B. being written
6. ... all the equipment, the students began the experiment. A. preparing
B. being prepared
d. having prepared
7. Simple but ... clothes are always the best choice. A. well-make
d. well-makeup 8. ... Agatha Chrstie’s books you can’t guess who the criminal is. A. in reading
B. having read
d. being read
9. the books ... by Dickens give us a realistic picture of the 19 century england. A. written
B. being written
d. having written
10. Diana Spencer was a ... and affectionate mother. A. loved
C. be loving
B. being loved
11. All the questions ... at the meeting were very important. A. discussed
C. be discussing
d. having discussed
12. I stood silently ... the artist as he painted a portrait. A. at watching
d. being watched
13. ... into many languages, Pushkin’s poems became famous all over the world. A. translated
C. having been translated
d. been translated
14. “the Mousetrap” by A. Christie is now the ... play in the world. A. longest-running
15. If a resume is not ... it will make a poor impression on the employer. A. wrote-well
B. writing well
d. written well
16. ... what a country needs and produces, it can import and export goods. A. depending
C. on depending
d. being depended
17. I don’t want … . A. taking my photo
C. to have my photo taken
B. to have taken my photo
d. having taken my photo
18. ... twenty years abroad he was happy to be coming back home. A. spending
B. having spent
d. being spent
19. Not ... to the other guests he felt a stranger. A. having introduced
B. been introduced
d. having been introduced
20. each time ... about this incident I can’t help laughing. A. talking
C. be talking
B. being talked
иНфиНиТив (THe INFINITIVe)
I.Переведите предложения на русский язык, определите форму и фун- кцию инфинитива. 1. To drive a car in a big city is difficult. 2.The new method was used in
the plant to achieve better results. 3. There are no monuments in this town to
speak about. 4. Newton used the three laws of motion to explain the movement
of the moon round the earth. 5. I used to play tennis. These days I play golf.
6. The dog was the first to feel the danger. 7. They were glad to have taken
part in our expedition. 8. She wanted to be answered at once. 9. He was happy
to be working for many years with the famous scientist. 10. People don’t like
to be laughed at. 11. I remember to have met this man somewhere before.
12. The students are waiting to be given dictionaries for translating the text.
13. More and more companies at present claim to be developing green-marketing
strategies. 14. To pass exams well one must work hard during the term. 15. Nature
has many secrets to be discovered. 16. what is more pleasant: to give
or to be given presents? 17. She was happy to have written the test with
a good result. 18. Your plan leaves much to be desired. 19. He was too tired
to be asked any questions. 20. I’m sorry to have taken so much of your time.
II. Соедините части предложения в одно предложение, употребите ин- финитив в функции обстоятельства цели. О б р а з е ц: He is saving money, he wants to buy a car.
He is saving money to buy a car.
1. They destroyed some old buildings, they wanted to widen a street. 2. She
rushed into a burning house, she wanted to save a child. 3. He opened the door,
he intended to go out. 4. He took off his boots, he didn’t want to make noise.
5. They are learning French, they wish to visit Paris. 6. The tourists went
very fast, they wanted to reach the village before the night. 7. She went to the
supermarket, she needed to buy some food. 8. A new method was introduced at
the plant, they wanted to achieve better results. 9. I got up at 6 o’clock, I didn’t
want to miss an early train. 10. They took a taxi, they didn’t want to be late for
the classes. 11. She recorded her speech, she wanted to improve her phonetics.
12. Mike bought twenty roses for his girlfriend, he wanted to impress her.
13. Chris is saving money, he wants to start his business. 14. Jane goes to the
gym, she wants to get fit.