test 19 1. horseshoes … to bring good luck. A. believe
C. it is believed
B. are believing
d. are believed
2. Sigmund Freud … to be the first neurophysiologist. A. is known
B. it is known that
d. to know
3. Adam Smith … the “Father of economics”. A. considered to be
C. considers to be
B. is considered to be
d. it is considered
4. She is expected … her report on Monday morning. A. make
C. to make
B. will make
5. he is known … at a very important problem now. A. to be working
C. to have worked
6. the proposal is reported … by the committee. A. to approve
C. to have approved
B. to have been approved
7. he is said … a novel for ten years.
A. to be writing
C. to have been writing
B. to write
d. to writing
8. helen … to be an excellent speaker. A. turned out
C. turn out
B. is turned out
d. to turn out
9. the four parts of London … to different towns and epochs. A. seem belong
C. seem to belong
B. are seemed to belong
d. seem belonged
10. the weather is expected … for the better next week. A. change
C. to changing
B. to have changed
d. to change
11. Nobel Prize is known … for the outstanding works in Science. A. to be given
C. to give
B. to be giving
d. to have given
12. the delegation is expected … on Wednesday. A. arriving
C. to have arrived
B. to arrive
d. to be arriving
13. this scientist ... to have made a great discovery in economies. A. happened
C. to happen
B. is happened
d. to have happened
14. Laser is known … in medicine. A. be used
C. have used
B. to use
d. to be used
15. Ink … to have been invented in egypt. A. are supposed
B. is supposed
d. has supposed
16. the englishmen … to be the greatest tea – drinkers in the world. A. are sure that
C. are sure
d. it is sure
17. harlem ... to be the black capital of New York. A. is considered
C. to consider
B. has considered
B. has considered
18. they are said … to a new flat recently. A. to move
C. to moving
B. to have moved
d. to be moved
19. the agreement is not likely … . A. to be signed
C. to sign
B. to signing
d. have signed
20. Miss Pearl … to be a very kind and pretty woman. A. to appear
C. has appear
B. is appeared
ГеРУНдий (THe GerUNd)
I. Переведите предложения на русский язык, определите форму и фун- кцию герундия. 1. They finished doing the experiment late in the evening. 2. She is fond of
swimming in cold water. 3. After graduating from the university he worked in
the Far North. 4. The strange man stopped following me. 5. At the meeting they
discussed different ways of improving their work. 6. Instead of restoring the old
theatre they decided to build a new one. 7. The idea of creating a multi-stage
rocket belongs to Tsiolkovsky. 8. Science needs experimenting. 9. Speaking
foreign languages is of great importance for every educated man. 10. I remember
having seen this film a year ago. 11. The children insisted on being shown the
cartoon once again. 12. The boys were punished for having broken the window.
13. Mrs. Branson broke silence by inviting everybody to dinner. 14. She likes
neither reading nor being read to. 15. Before being sent up the balloon was filled
with special gas. 16. Jack was proud of having been appointed to a new job.
17. He is used to traveling by plane now. He goes to the USA on business every
month. 18. Bowing is considered to be the sign of politeness in Japan.
II. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на герундиальный оборот. 1. I know of his having been sent to work to the Far east. 2. what is the
reason of your leaving the party so early? 3. we heard of the experiment having
been started last week. 4. They objected to our asking so many questions. 5. we
were informed of new results being obtained at the laboratory. 6. I remember
his having been interested in languages in his childhood. 7. we heard of their
having gone abroad. 8. I’m sure of the students having been interviewed.
9. we appreciate John’s helping us. 10. The doctor insisted on my spending the
holidays at the seaside. 11. I can’t stand people’s lying. 12. we know of Mary’s
having been educated in oxford. 13. The police were informed of the criminals
having appeared in the city.
III. Раскройте скобки, употребляя герундий в форме Active или Passive. 1. The lecturer was angry at (to interrupt) every other moment.
He has a bad habit of (to interrupt) people.
2. why do you avoid (to speak) to me?
She tried to avoid (to speak) to.
3. The doctor insisted on (to send) the sick man to the hospital.
The child insisted on (to send) home at once.
4. I don’t mind (to interview) on this problem.
She is fond of (to interview) the young people.
5. The film was so funny that everybody couldn’t help (to laugh).
People don’t like (to laugh) at.
6. She is fond of (to tell) her jokes to everybody.
Little children are fond of (to tell) fairy-tales.
7. People don’t enjoy (to ask) many questions.
The journalists enjoy (to ask) questions.
8. Mr. Johnson was proud of (to award) the golden cup.
This footballer is worth (to award). His goals were perfect.
IV. Совместите левую колонку с правой, употребляя герундий или ин- финитив. 1. I enjoy
2. The students finished
3. I look forward
4. Your flat needs
5. I can’t stand
6. we can’t afford
7. everybody couldn’t help
8. do you mind
9. what would you like
10. My parents promised
11. He was happy
12. our task is
a) waiting in queues. It really annoys me.
b) laughing at this funny joke.
c) cooking, I find it creative.
d) to waste time.
e) making the test.
f) to master english.
g) to buy a new mobile-phone.
i) to do tonight?
j) to hearing from you soon.
k) to help me.
l) my smoking?
V. Закончите предложения, используя герундий в соответствующей форме. 1. did you enjoy (смотреть футбол)? 2. He is in the habit of (вставать рано).
3. Is the film worth (посмотреть)? 4. do you feel like (сходить в кино)? 5. Tom
went for a walk instead of (делать уроки). 6. You are fond of (читать), aren’t
you? 7. I always look forward to (провести лето на море). 8. This translation
needs (редактирование). 9. Mr. Lloyd objected to (чтобы его послали в ко-
мандировку). 10. I avoid (есть) Mexican food, it’s too spicy. 11. He came into
the room without (постучав). 12. we don’t have any hope of (увидеть его).
13. She insisted on (поговорить) with me immediately. 14. I don’t mind (чтобы
мне говорили) what to do. 15. They didn’t hear of (что пит уехал за границу).
16. Mary was proud of (что ее назначили) to the post of top-manager. 17. Thank
you for (что прислали мне) these nice flowers.
VI. Соедините два предложения в одно, употребляя предлоги в скоб- ках. 8
1. Think carefully. (before). Answer my questions.
2. The old man sat at the table. (without). He didn’t say anything.
3. (After) He looked at his watch. He hurried to the station.
4. She bought a pair of shoes. (instead of). She didn’t get a pair of boots.
5. Tom went out the library. (without). He didn’t take any book.
6. My cousin often fishes for hours. (without). He doesn’t catch anything.
7. She entered the room. (without). She didn’t greet anybody.
8. (on) He came home. He went to bed immediately.
9. (After) I spent the whole morning on the river. I went home.
10. (Instead of) They don’t catch fish. They catch only old boots and
VII. Заполните пропуски предлогами, употребляя герундий. 1. I wonder what prevented him … to the party (come). 2. He apologized …
me waiting (keep). 3. I object … such a nice day at home (spend). 4. The doctor
insisted … a sick man to the hospital (send). 5. everybody was surprised …
this news (hear). 6. They look forward … France (visit). 7. Your future career
depends … with this man (talk). 8. She always dreamed … (be rich). 9. The
boys were accused … the window. (break). 10. did you succeed … a good job
(find)? 11. The Browns are thinking … a new house in the countryside (buy).
12. My father gave … last year (smoke). 13. Laura is fond… old coins (collect).
14. These students are interested … english (learn).
VIII. Переведите предложения на английский язык. 1. чтение английских журналов и газет важно для студента, изучающе-
го английский язык. 2. Комитет изучал проблему улучшения автобусного
обслуживания в городе. 3. доктор настаивает на том, чтобы она провела
лето у моря. 4. Он вошёл в комнату, не постучав. 5. Когда вы закончите
разговаривать по телефону? 6. Эту коллекцию монет стоит посмотреть.
7. я терпеть не могу одалживать деньги. 8. Мы с нетерпением ждём вашего
приезда. 9. Шторм помешал пароходу прибыть в порт вовремя. 10. Мой
отец бросил курить два года назад и чувствует себя намного лучше. 11. вы
ничего не имеете против, если мы откроем окно? 12. дети любят, когда им
читают вслух. 13. я не помню, чтобы я раньше встречался с вами. 14. вы
уверены, что у студентов уже взяли интервью? 15. в чём причина того, что
он покинул вечеринку так рано? 16. после окончания института он работал
на Крайнем Севере. 17. Она терпеть не может, когда ей лгут. 18. Мы слы-
шали, что Том уехал за границу год назад. 19. благодарю вас за то, что вы
прислали мне такие красивые розы. 20. перестаньте разговаривать!
IX. Переведите английские пословицы и дайте русский эквивалент. объясните смысл пословиц по-английски. Проиллюстрируйте упот- ребление одной из пословиц в конкретной ситуации.
1. Seeing is believing.
2. It’s no use crying over the spilt milk.
3. what is worth doing is worth doing well.
4. Be slow in choosing a friend, slower in changing.
5. You can’t make an omelet without breaking eggs.
6. don’t swap the horses when crossing a stream.
X. Прослушайте и прочитайте следующие шутки. Назовите герундий. инсценируйте шутки. 1) eeinstein, one of the greatest scientists, gave what he considered the best
formula for success in life.
“If A is success in life, I should say the formula is A equals x plus Y plus
Z, x being work and Y being play”.
“And what is Z?” asked the interviewer. “That is keeping your mouth
shut”, he answered.
2) “I gave that man 50 cents for saving my life”.
“what did he do?”
“Gave me back 20 cents change”.
XI. Прочитайте письмо, употребите инфинитив или герундий. dear Ann,
How are you? we are still busy (decorate) the house. I don’t mind (paint) but
I can’t stand (clean up) afterwards. we started (tile) the kitchen today. we were
advised (pay) professional decorators but I prefer (do) things myself. we need
(buy) some new furniture, of course, and there are still so many things which
we have (do) but we are not discouraged yet. Anyway, Ted wants me (help) him
(move) the sofa so I must (go). I hope (hear) from you soon. I’m looking forward
to your (visit) us in our new house.
XII. Прочитайте текст и подчеркните неличные формы глагола. Пере- скажите текст. When in Company when in company, don’t keep looking at the watch as if you were impatient
tor the time to pass.
when in company, don’t open a book or a newspaper and begin reading to
yourself. No matter how monotonous the conversation or how dull the company,
yawning is never permissible.
To whisper in company is a bad manner. If what you wish to say cannot be
said aloud, reserve it for a suitable occasion.
Talking with others, unless they are your close friends, keep to general
subjects and avoid arguing. Two subjects are considered to be taboo in any form
of polite social conversation, and these are religion and politics. In these fields
everyone has their own very definite ideas. everyone has a right to his own
personal opinion, but he shouldn’t try to force it on others. The best topics for
a light social conversation are art, sports and the hobby of the person you are
To talk about your troubles and diseases in company is bad taste.
don’t talk overloudly or try to monopolize conversation.
To be pleasant company be a good listener. don’t be indifferent or impatient
when others are speaking. don’t talk about yourself or your affairs. If you wish
to be popular, talk to people about what interests them, not about what interests
(From How to Carry on Interesting Conversation by e. Cotton and How
To win Friends and Influence People by d. Carnegie)
test 20 1. I’m looking forward … Spain next year. A. to visit
C. to visiting
B. for visit
d. for visiting
2. William the Conqueror is famous for … england. A. conquering
C. being conquered
B. having conquered
3. the inspector suspected the young man … the cop. A. in being killed
C. of having killed
B. for killing
d. of kill
4. the Chinese are used to … with chopsticks. A. being eaten
d. having eaten
5. It’s rainy and foggy today. You should avoid … your car. A. having driven
B. being driven
6. We object to … late. A. your coming
C. your come
B. you coming
d. that you come
7. they insisted … the result of the experiment. A. at showing
C. on being shown
B. for showing
d. to showing
8. the members of the conference were informed of … in it. A. his taking part
C. his take part
B. him taking part
d. him to take part
9. People all over the world enjoy … Coca Cola. A. drinking
C. to drink
B. be drinking
d. to drinking
10. traveling is a pleasant way … one’s education. A. in improving
B. of improving
d. in improving
11. She … my best friend but we aren’t friends any longer. A. used being
C. used to be
B. is used to be
d. is used to being
12. Jane eyre and her sisters were fond … in childhood. A. in reading
C. to reading
B. of reading
d. on reading
13. What was the reason of … the party so suddenly? A. John leaving
C. John to leave
B. John’s left
d. John’s leaving
14. Mr. Kay can’t stand … during his work. A. being bother
B. being bothered
d. to be bothering
15. We haven’t heard of … the President of the Company. A. him electing
C. his having elected
B. his having been elected
d. him being elected
16. Nobody likes … to the dentist’s. A. to going
C. being gone
d. having gone
17. heavy snow storm prevented the plane … . A. from landing
C. to being land
B. to landing
B. to landing
d. of landing
18. tony’s behavior was so awful that mother couldn’t help … at him. A. being shout
C. having shouted
d. to shouting
19. barbara entered the room without … anybody. A. greeting
C. being greeted
B. to greeting
d. no greeting
20. Mike was proud of … the golden cup. A. having awarded
B. having been awarded
d. being award
УСЛовНые ПРедЛожеНия (CoNdITIoNAL SeNTeNCeS)
I. Переведите следующие предложения на русский язык, обращая вни- мание на 3 типа условных предложений. 1. If he works much at his english, he will pass the exam well. 2. If I come
home early, I’ll be able to write my report. 3. If you had cоme to the meeting
yesterday, you would have met our new professor. 4. If the weather was fine, we
would go to the country. 5. If it hadn’t been so late, we’d have gone home on
foot. 6. If I had a dictionary, I would translate the text faster. 7. The accident
wouldn’t have happened, if the driver had been more careful. 8. I would take you
to the concert, if I had a spare ticket. 9. If Titanic hadn’t hit the iceberg, people
wouldn’t have sunk. 10. we’ll have a picnic tomorrow, if it stops raining. 11. If
I have a driving license, I’ll buy a car. 12. If I were the Lord of the Universe,
I’d make all people happy. 13. If the trees didn’t make oxygen, people wouldn’t
be able to live. 14. If we turn off the light when not in use, we’ll save energy.
15. People would live on the moon, if it were possible. 16. If all good people
were clever, and all clever people were good, the world would be nicer.
II. Употребите глагол в скобках в нужной форме. О б р а з е ц: If we took a taxi, we (arrive) in time.
If we took a taxi, we would arrive in time.
If I had been in england, I (visit) Trafalgar Square.
If I had been in england I’d have visited Trafalgar Square.
1. If I went to bed earlier, I (feel) better. 2. If he had sold his car last year, he
(get) more money. 3. I’m sure, she (understand) the situation, if you explained
it. 4. You would feel much better, if you (stop) smoking. 5. Mr. and Mrs. Black
will be very angry, if we (not come) to the party. 6. The tourists would have
reached the village before darkness, if they (walk) faster. 7. what would happen,
if you (not go) to work tomorrow? 8. They would have bought this house, if it
(cost) cheaper. 9. The accident wouldn’t happen, if the driver (not drive) so fast.
10. Mike would have passed the exams much better, if he (work) harder. 11. If
you had got up earlier yesterday, you (have) time for breakfast. 12. She wouldn’t
have lost the key, if she (put) it in the right place. 13. If Gloria were a high
fashion model, she (earn) $ 50 an hour. 14. If I had got a job on TV, I (made)
nice commercials. 15. If we receive the documents tomorrow, we (start) working
on Monday. 16. The plan wouldn’t have been fulfilled in time, if the people (not
work) with such energy.
III. дополните следующие предложения. 1. If I traveled to Japan, …
2. If I were the President, …
3. If I were the Mayor of my city, …
4. If I were a Professor, …
5. If I had a lot of money, …
6. If my life didn’t suit me, …
7. If I could go anywhere in the world, …
8. If I knew english very well, …
9. If it were summer, …
10. If I saw a dinosaur, …
IV. ответьте на вопросы. a) what would you do if
a) you lost your passport?
you fell in love?
a foreign friend came to your city?
you were invited to make a trip round
b) what would you have done if
b) you had failed exams last year?
you had won $ 100 000 in a lottery?
you had been born in 1915?
you had lived in the 19 century?
V. Посмотрите на эти предупреждающие надписи и скажите, что про- изойдет, если не следовать им. О б р а з е ц: KeeP oFF THe GrASS If you don’t keep off the grass,
you’ll be fined.
weT PAINT (to ignore the sign/to get dirty)
do NoT ToUCH (to touch the models/to be punished)
No PArKING (to leave your car/to be fined)
oNe-wAY TrAFFIC (to drive two ways/to get into accident)
BewAre oF doG (to ignore the sign/to get bitten by the dog)
KeeP LeFT (to keep right/to get into trouble)
dANGer oF FIre (to lit a cigarette/to make a fire)
MINd THe STePS (to ignore looking down/to fall down)
do NoT LITTer (to throw trash here/to be fined)
VI. Совместите левую колонку с правой и переведите предложения на русский язык. 1. You’ll be cold
2. Ann would feel bad
3. I’d have bought this car
4. we would go hiking
5. They would come in time
6. You’d finish the work earlier
7. I’d read english books in the original
8. You wouldn’t have fallen ill
a) the price had been lower.
b) the weather wasn’t rainy.
c) you don’t wear a coat.
d) they took a taxi.
e) she didn’t take the pills.
f) you used a computer.
g) you had followed my
h) my english were good.
VII. Переведите предложения на английский язык. 1. я бы не опоздал вчера, если бы не попал в пробку на дороге. 2. Ту-
ристы добрались бы до деревни до темноты, если бы шли быстрее. 3. Они
бы купили этот дом, если бы он стоил дешевле. 4. Если бы он продал свою
машину в прошлом году, он бы получил больше денег. 5. Авария бы не
случилась, если бы водитель был более внимателен. 6. Мы поедем за город
завтра, если погода будет хорошая. 7. Если бы я знала английский лучше,
я бы читала английские книги в оригинале. 8. Если бы я знал, что она не
придёт, я бы никогда не купил букет красных роз. 9. Если бы я был препо-
давателем, то поставил бы всем студентам хорошие оценки на экзамене.
10. На вашем месте я бы давно бросил курить и занялся спортом. 11. Если
бы книга не была такой дорогой, я бы купил её. 12. Мистер Смит давно бы
вас повысил по службе, если бы вы были более ответственным работником.
13. Если бы не ваша помощь тогда, я бы не смог закончить работу вовремя.
14. Если бы не несчастный случай, он бы установил рекорд. 15. вы полу-
чите хорошую скидку, если купите телевизор в этом месяце. 16. Если бы я
был властелином вселенной, я бы сделал всех людей счастливыми.