VI. Переведите английские пословицы и дайте русский эквивалент. объясните смысл пословиц по-английски. Проиллюстрируйте упот- ребление одной из пословиц в конкретной ситуации. 1. everything is good in its season.
2. By doing nothing we learn to do ill.
3. To know everything is to know nothing.
4. everybody’s business is nobody’s business.
5. Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.
6. No pains, no gains.
VII. Прослушайте и прочитайте следующие шутки. Назовите неопре- деленные местоимения. инсценируйте шутки. 1) T e a c h e r: Children, do you know anything about the great people of
P u p i l: of course. All of them are dead.
2) A son at colledge wrote to his father: “No mon, no fun, your son”.
The father answered: “How sad, too bad, your dad”.
VIII. Прочитайте текст и заполните пропуски местоимениями some, any, no или их производными.
The school trip is tomorrow and I want to remind everyone of a few things.
I don’t want … to miss the bus. Last year … students were left behind because
they arrived late. There are hardly … seats left on the coach, so remember to put
your bags and coats in the boot before you get on. … will be allowed to smoke on
the coach. I hope you will all bring … warm clothes. The castle is … to the north
of the town. It’s a 15-minute walk, so wear … comfortable on your feet. once
inside, I don’t want to hear … shouting or swearing. If there is … you want to
know about the castle and its history, there will be … at the castle gates to show
us around and answer … questions. There will be … talking on the museum tour
afterwards. The town is small, and so there is … large enough to accommodate
us all for lunch. I suggest we stop for fish and chips on the journey home – I
doubt if … will object! does … have … questions? Good. If you remember what
I’ve said, there will be … problems.
IX. Прочитайте текст и заполните пропуски местоимениями a few, few, a little, little. dear dad,
Just … words to tell you about my new restaurant. I’m a bit worried about it
as very … people are coming to eat here. … came in last night, but they ordered
very … food – just … sandwiches and … coffee. It seems that very … people
can afford to eat out these days because they’ve got very … money to spare. I
don’t think business will be very good for … years. Perhaps you could lend me
… money to keep me going for a while?
test 5 1. I think that there is … before me but hard work. A. something
2. You can buy this dictionary in …book shop. A. anything
C. no one
3. Would you like …tea, please? A. any
4. I hear they’re going to spend their holiday …in the south. A. somewhere
5. … people are early risers. A. any
6. I don’t know …about this incident. Ask somebody else. A. nothing
7. there is … new under the sun. A. anything
8. … educated person should know at least one foreign language. A. everybody
9. Do you have much or … work today? A. little
d. a few
10. In the Middle east you shouldn’t admire ... in your hosts’ home. A. something
11. In France you shouldn’t sit down in a cafe until you’ve shaken hands with … you know. A. everyone
12. the national lottery in britain creates a millionaire … week. A. any
13. I looked for your glasses … , but I couldn’t find them. A. somewhere
14. the boss doesn’t want to see … today. A. anybody
15. there is “No parking” area and … who parks his car here will be fined. A. nobody
16. After the lesson everybody felt ... tired. A. a little
C. a few
17. he was very busy and he saw … of his old friends. A. few
18. our city is very beautiful in summer. there are flowers …. A. somewhere
19. Yeuсk! there’s ... salt in this sоup - it’s horrible. A. too much
C. too many
B. a little
20. Can I have … sweets, please? A. any
B. a lot
СТеПеНи СРАвНеНия ПРиЛАГАТеЛьНых и НАРечий (deGreeS oF CoMPArISoN)
I. образуйте сравнительную и превосходную степени от следующих прилагательных и наречий. a) Short, big, cold, warm, nice, strong, bad, good, high, happy, easy, many,
little, wide, low, clever, heavy, young, bright, cheap, long, slow.
b) Popular, comfortable, pleasant, serious, famous, interesting, active,
important, wonderful, talented, creative, expensive, necessary, impressive.
II. Переведите предложения на русский язык. 1. Public transport in London is more expensive than in europe.
2. Americans are more friendly than englishmen. 3. In future the earth
will be hotter. 4. Cricket is more popular in england than in America.
5. The latest model of this car is much less polluting. 6. The longer the
night, the shorter the day. 7. This was the most difficult case in his practice.
8. The empire State building is one of the highest buildings in the world.
9. Michael Jackson is not so popular in russia as in the USA. 10. Aspirin is one of
the safest and most effective drugs. 11. englishmen are the greatest tea-drinkers
in the world. 12. Moscow Kremlin is one of the most impressive structures in the
world. 13. The more we study, the more we know. 14. oxford and Cambridge
are the most prestigеous universities in Britain. 15. Subway in America is the
cheapest and fastest way of travelling.
III. Употребите прилагательные в скобках в нужной степени сравне- ния. 1. February is (short) month of the year. 2. This is one of (important) questions
of our meeting. 3. Kuwait is one of the (large) oil-producers in the world. 4. Your
english is much (good) now. 5. The Alps are (high) mountains in europe. 6. The
(many) people know about nature, the (many) they control it. 7. The (much) haste,
the (little) speed. 8. This book is (interesting) I`ve ever read. 9. winter is (cold)
season. 10. Mobile phones are becoming (cheap) and (cheap). 11. The (popular)
hobby among the englishmen is gardening. 12. The 1
of April is (funny) day of
the year. 13. “Smiles” is (long) word in the english language because there is a
mile between two “s”. 14. russian grammar is (difficult) grammar in the world.
IV. выберите верное предложение в каждой паре. 1. exercise 5 is easier than exercise 7.
exercise 5 is more easy than exercise 7.
2. I’m the most happy person in the world.
I’m the happiest person in the world.
3. Mary is the youngest in the group.
Mary is younger in the group.
4. February is more cold than March.
February is colder than March.
5. This theatre is the oldest in my city.
This theatre is the most old in my city.
6. Travelling by train is more pleasant than by car.
Travelling by train is pleasant than by car.
7. My control paper was the baddest in the class.
My control paper was the worst in the class.
8. To give presents is better than take them.
To give presents is gooder than take them.
9. Sahara desert is the hottest place on the earth.
Sahara desert is the most hot place on the earth.
10. This is the more exciting music I ever heard.
This is the most exciting music I ever heard.
11. She writes French as well as she speaks it.
She writes French so well as she speaks it.
V. Составьте предложения, употребляя as…as, not so …as, more (less) … than, than. 1. Towns (noisy) villages. 2. My life (interesting) it used to be. 3. english
(easy) Japanese. 4. russian (difficult) Chinese. 5. Now the situation (bad) last
month. 6. He (not clever) you think. 7. This wonderful hotel (expensive) the
ritz. 8. our new car (economical) the old one. 9. Train (not fast) plane. 10. on
Sundays my children do not have to get up (early) as usual. 11. The weather in
russia (not changeable) in england. 12. A man (old) he feels.
VI. ответьте на вопросы. 1. which country has the largest population? 2. what is the longest river
in the world? 3. who was the youngest President of the USA? 4. what is the
largest electronic company in the world? 5. where is the tallest building in the
world? 6. which is the richest country in the world? 7. which nationality is the
greatest tea-drinkers? 8. what is the most beautiful building in Moscow? 9. what
is the most famous street in New York? 10. who was the funniest comic actor
in england? 11. who is the most well-known poet in russia? 12. which is the
oldest building in London?
VII. Прочитайте стихотворение и назовите прилагательные. выучите стихотворение наизусть. The more we study the more we know,
The more we know, the more we forget,
The more we forget, , the less we know,
The less we know, the less we forget,
The less we forget, the more we know.
So why study?
VIII. Переведите предложения на английский язык. 1. Россия – самая большая страна в мире. 2. Население Российской Фе-
дерации больше, чем население великобритании. 3. джон леннон – один
из самых известных музыкантов в мире. 4. Агата Кристи популярна во всем
мире своими детективными рассказами. 5. Тише едешь – дальше будешь.
6. язык этой статьи не такой трудный. 7. Мобильная связь становится все
более популярной во всем мире. 8. Эта проблема не такая серьёзная, как вам
кажется. 9. чем быстрее мы закончим работу, тем лучше.10. погода сегодня
хуже, чем вчера. 11. Австралия – одна из наименее населённых стран мира.
12. Это самая прекрасная картина во всей коллекции.13. Тауэр – это самое
старое строение в лондоне.14. Хэллоуин – это самый страшный праздник в
году. 15. Это самая плохая дорога, по которой я когда-либо ездил. 16. Нью-
йорк – это самый богатый и самый бедный город, самый современный и
Iх. Переведите английские пословицы и дайте русский эквивалент. объясните смысл пословиц по-английски. Проиллюстрируйте упот- ребление одной из пословиц в конкретной ситуации. 1. Better late, than never.
2. He laughs best who laughs last.
3. early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
4. Actions speak louder than words.
5. empty vessel makes the greatest noise.
6. A woman is as old as she looks.
7. of two evils choose the least.
8. The less people think, the more they talk.
X. Прослушайте и прочитайте следующие шутки. Назовите прилага- тельные и образуйте их степени сравнения. инсценируйте шутки. 1) S o n: Father, what is the biggest fish you ever caught?
F a t h e r: You’d better go and ask your mother. I have forgotten what I
2) d a d: You know, my dear that a bride always wears white as a symbol of
happiness, because her wedding day is the happiest in her life.
S o n: Yes, and now I know why men always wear black in wedding.
IX. Прочитайте текст, употребите прилагательные в скобках в нужной степени сравнения. Перескажите один из текстов. A. Carol’s Apple Cake Carol baked an apple cake yesterday, but she couldn’t follow all the
instructions in her cook-book because she didn’t have enough of the ingredients.
She used (little) flour and (few) eggs than the recipe required. She also used
(little) butter, (few) apples, (few) raisins and (little) sugar than she needed. As a
result Carol’s apple cake didn’t taste very good. In fact it tasted terrible.
b. the best and the Worst Joe Brown has the (beautiful) garden in our town. Nearly everybody enters
for “The (nice) Garden Competition” each year, but Joe wins every time. Bill’s
garden is (large) than Joe’s. Bill works (hard) than Joe and grows (many) flowers
and vegetables, but Joe’s garden is (interesting). I like gardens too, but I don’t
like hard work. every year I enter for “The Garden Competition” too and I
always win a little prize for the (bad) garden in the town.
C. the best Place I have seen the seven wonders of the world and if there is an eighth I
have seen it too. I have walked through the (wonderful) public parks of every
civilized and uncivilized country in the world. I have slept in the (fine) beds of
the (fashionable) hotels of the (big) cities of the (good) countries. I have eaten
the (tasty) foods on earth, I have spent long afternoons in the (beautiful) gardens
of the (rich) people on earth drinking green tea, reading the (cheap) novels and
smoking the (expensive) cigars. I have played poker with the (famous) people
— with the Prince of wales and with the Countess of Strasbourg. Seven of the
wonders I have seen, but the (good) place for me is Beale Street.
(After w. Saroyan)
test 6 1. An economy class ticket is … a first class ticket. A. more cheaper than
C. much cheaper than
B. cheaper then
d. much cheap than
2. What’s … news of today?? A. later
B. the latest
d. the last
3. hotels are becoming … nowadays. A. more expensive
C. the most expensive
4. the damage to the car was … than we expected. A. bad
C. the worse
5. the sea is … unknown part of our world. A. the largest
C. the most largest
d. the most large
6. If you require … information, ask the policeman over there. A. father
d. the further
7. the Statue of Liberty is called … lady in the world. A. the grandest
C. as grand as
B. the grand
d. the most grandest
8. A bus is … than a tram. A. faster
d. as fast as
9. there is … snow this winter than last winter.
C. the most
10. the party was not … I expected. A. as nice
C. so nice
B. so nice as
11. the population in russia is … in Great britain. A. less than
C. less then
B. more then
d. more than
12. My granny is three years … than my grandfather. A. as young as
C. less young
B. more young
13. oxford and Cambridge are … Universities of Great britain. A. the eldest
C. most old
B. the oldest
d. the most oldest
14. Nothing is … than a russian countryside. A. most pleasant
C. least pleasant
B. more pleasant
15. Women are usually … than men. A. emotional
B. more emotional
d. most emotional
16. english grammar is not … russian grammar. A. as difficult
C. so difficult as
B. less difficult
17. … book written by D. Defoe is «robinson Crusoe». A. most famous
C. the most famous
d. the famousest
18. Stonehenge is the second … tourist attraction in britain. A. most popular
C. the popularest
B. the most popular
d. more popular
19. the climate in Florida is … in California. A. milder
C. as mild as
B. so mild
d. so mild as
20. Fifth Avenue is … shopping center in New York. A. the goodest
C. the best
d. the worst
I. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на предлоги места и направления. 1. Jane is a student of economic colledge. 2. The road went through the forest
and turned left. 3. Mr. Clark goes to work by car every day. 4. His parents work
at a big plant. 5. The sun rises in the east and sets down in the west. 6. The two
boys went along the street talking about a new film. 7. would you like to go to the
theatre with me next Saturday? 8. Let’s meet at the entrance of the underground
at 5 p.m. 9.You must tell this news to everybody. 10. There is a beautiful garden
behind my house. 11. They are going to travel to Hawaii this summer. 12. I want
to go to the shop and buy something for dinner. 13. My granny likes to sit in front
of TV in the evening. 14. our flat is on the second floor of a five-storey building.
15. The dead sea is situated below the sea level. 16. A lot of english words came
from Latin. 17. The dog swam across the river. 18. I met my boy-friend while I
was studying at the university.
II. Заполните пропуски предлогами времени, где необходимо. 1. Mr. and Mrs. Kay met…1985 in London. 2. In england children start
school…the age of five. 3. Let’s meet…7 o’clock near the metro. 4. I entered
the university…the 1… September 2005. 5. we are going to the country…the
weekend. 6. what were you doing…6 till 8 o’clock in the evening? I called
you, but nobody answered. 7. She usually doesn’t work … Saturdays. 8. The
Christmas holidays start…the end of december in england. 9. Hurry up! we’re
leaving…five minutes. 10. I don’t often go out…night, but…last night was a
special one, my wife’s jubilee. 11. english people usually travel to France …
summer. 12. Are you doing anything special … Friday evening? 13. I haven’t
seen Ann… several days already. 14. we live… the 21 century. 15. They are
going on vacation… next week. 16.…the english lesson we read the texts and
do a lot of exercises. 17. It has been raining… yesterday.
III. Заполните пропуски предлогами из правой колонки. 1. I have been learning english …childhood.
2. we haven’t met each other …three years.
3. She would like to live…the sea.
4. New York is a big modern city… a heavy traffic.
5. don’t trouble trouble …trouble troubles you.
6. My institute is far…my house.
7. Pushkin’s poems are famous all…the world.
8. There is a beautiful fountain…the theatre.
in front of
9. This book is very much spoken…
10. The roof…this house is very old, it needs repairing.
11. “King Lear” was written… Shakespeare.
12. If you run …two hares, you’ll catch none.
13. …two stools one falls to the ground.
14. Never put off…tomorrow what you can do today.
15. The girl stood … the tree, it was raining heavily.
16. The earth moves … the Sun.
IV. Закончите предложения, обращая внимание на употребление фик- сированных предлогов после глаголов. 1. This writer is very popular with… 2. My elder brother is fond of… 3. His
father is very good at… 4. I feel sorry for…. 5. russian winter is famous for…
6. who is responsible for… 7. I’m very interested in… 8. Professor Petrov’s
lectures are listened to… 9. what’s wrong with… 10. You needn’t worry about….
11. russian teenagers are crazy about… 12. Little children are afraid of …
13. The teacher isn’t satisfied with … 14. we were surprised at … 15. I was very
tired of … 16. She often thinks of … 17. Have you seen my glasses? I’ve been
looking for … 18. Can you look after …? 19. I haven’t looked through … 20. If
you don’t know a foreign word you may look it up … 21. I look forward to …
22. don’t laugh at …
V. Переведите составные предлоги в скобках на английский язык. 1. (С помощью) computers people can do very difficult calculations. 2. The
tourists couldn’t reach the place in time (из-за) heavy rain. 3. The fire was quickly
put down (благодаря) the energy of a fire brigade. 4. (Согласно) the schedule
the train arrives at 10 o’clock sharp. 5. The fishermen didn’t go into the open sea
(из-за) the storm. 6. (для того, чтобы) protect the environment from pollution,
people should take care of nature. 7. The monument was restored (несмотря
на) many difficulties. 8. (благодаря) your help we finished the work in time.
9. The plane didn’t land in time (из-за) the bad weather. 10. The football match
was delayed (из-за) the heavy rain. 11. (вместо) the hat he put on a frying pan.
12. (в дополнении к) the oral exam the students are given a written test.