b) Past tenses. 1. while Mr. Black was driving home he ran out of petrol. 2. Helen had
been cooking for two hours when the guests came. 3. I couldn’t understand what
he was saying because he was speaking Spanish. 4. edison was the man who
invented the light bulb. 5. Helen used to go to the gym every day, but now she
doesn’t. 6. when I left home this morning it was raining. 7. Steve didn’t pass his
driving test yesterday, because he hadn’t prepared carefully. 8. By the time I got
home, my parents had left. 9. Mark was very happy as he had won the first prize
in the competition. 10. where did you spend your holidays last summer?
c) Future tenses. 1. In future people will go on holiday to the moon. 2. I think that dave will
buy a BMw next month. 3. She will have sent her application form by the end
of May. 4. Mr. Hunt’s daughter will have an excellent career. 5. when Tom
and Ann get married next week, they’ll fly to Hawaii. 6. By the time the firemen
arrive, the house will have burnt. 7. Are you going to cook something delicious
for Christmas? 8. don’t call me tomorrow. I’ll be preparing for the exam all day
long. 9. By 11 o’clock she’ll have been waiting for five hours. 10. The secretary
will have typed your letter by 9 o’clock tomorrow.
II. Закончите предложения согласно образцу. О б р а з е ц 1: a) You get up early every day, don’t you?
b) They learnt english at school, didn’t they?
c) She will bring you the dictionary tomorrow, won’t she?
1. They live in the center of London, …? 2. You know Spanish very
well, …? 3. Alice always answers well, …? 4. Mark works at a big bank, …?
5. They left Moscow two days ago, …? 6. Jack lost his key yesterday, …? 7. You
spent your holidays at the seaside, …? 8. The Browns will come to our place tomor-
row, …? 9. we will have two lectures tomorrow, …? 10. The children will go to
bed soon, …?
О б р а з е ц 2: a) She doesn’t play chess, does she?
b) Tom didn’t study at this Institute, did he?
c) They won’t come to be party, will they?
1. They don’t know Ann’s address, …? 2. The baby doesn’t want to
sleep, …? 3. we don’t have much time, …? 4. He didn’t fix the car himself , …?
5. Jane didn’t speak French last year, …? 6. It didn’t snow yesterday, … ? 7. we
won’t write a control paper tomorrow, …? 8. She won’t translate this article, …?
9. It won’t rain tomorrow, …?
III. Совместите правую и левую колонки. 1. The students write tests
a) from 12 – 2 p. m. tomorrow.
a) from 12 – 2 p. m. tomorrow.
2. The students are writing test
3. The students have written a test
4. The students have been writing a test d) by 5o’clock yesterday.
d) by 5o’clock yesterday.
5. The students wrote a test
e) very well.
e) very well.
6. The students were writing a test
f) for two hours.
f) for two hours.
7. The students had written a test
g) for an hour when he came.
g) for an hour when he came.
8. The students had been writing a test h) next Friday.
h) next Friday.
9. The students will write a test
i) when w
i) when we came.
10. The students will be writing a test j) ten minutes ago.
j) ten minutes ago.
11. The students will have written a test k) by 5 p.m. to
k) by 5 p.m. tomorrow.
IV. Соотнесите видовременную форму глаголa с правильным перево- дом на русский язык. learnt
изучаю (уже 2 года)
изучал (в прошлом)
will be learning
изучал (когда пришли родители)
изучил (вчера к 3 часам)
буду изучать (на следующий год)
have been learning
изучу (завтра к 10 часам)
had been learning
буду изучать (завтра с 9–11)
will have been learning
изучал (уже полчаса, когда пришел друг)
will have learnt буду изучать (уже год,
когда друг поступит в колледж)
V. выберите из правой колонки cоответствующую видовременную форму глагола. 1. я буду ждать вас завтра в это же время.
a) will wait for
b) am waiting for
c) will be waiting for
2. он готовится к экзамену сейчас. a) is revising
c) has revised
3. я сдал сегодня зачет по философии. a) have passed
c) had passed
4. Мы пишем тесты часто. a) are writing
5. онa работает над диссертацией уже 2 года. a) is working
b) has worked
c) has been working
6. я переведу статью завтра к вашему приходу. a) will translate
b) will have translated
c) will be translating
7. Мы будем знать результаты эксперимента завтра. a) will know
b) will have known
8. Студенты писали тест на прошлом занятии. a) are writing
c) had written
9. вчера в это время я выполнял тест по математике. a) was doing
c) had done
10. Ученые закончили опыт вчера к 12 часам. a) finished
b) had finished
c) have finished
11. Том смотрел телевизор уже 2 часа, когда мама пришла домой. a) watched
b) had been watching
c) was watching
VI. Задайте вопросы, начинающиеся с вопросительных слов в скоб- ках. 1. They left school last year. (when? who?) 2. I’ll give you this magazine
tomorrow. (what? when?) 3. The ship had left the port by 10 a.m. yesterday.
(why? when?) 4. She asked me a lot of questions. (how many? who?). 5. The
students write lectures every day. (how often? what?) 6. His parents have been
working at a big firm for two years. (whose? how long?). 7. Ted is fond of classic
music. (what kind of? who?) 8. Jane has just passed her exam. (when? how?)
9. The children are playing in the yard now. (who? where?) 10. The U.S. president
lives and works in the white House. (where? what?) 11. elvis Presley died in
1977. (when? where?) 12. She has been trying to find a job for several years.
(how long? who?) 13. My headache disappeared because I had taken pills. (why?
when?) 14. The secretary will be typing the documents from 9 till 10 o’clock
tomorrow. (what time?)
VII. Прочитайте текст, употребите глаголы в скобках в Present, Past или Future Simple. the Weather Forecast The weather (to be) a thing that I can never understand. I (to remember)
one summer day. we (to read) the weather forecast in the newspaper: “Heavy
showers with thunderstorms.”
we (to decide) to stay at home. we (to look) at the people who (to pass) our
house and (to say), “They (to come) home quite wet.”
At twelve o’clock it (to become) very hot. one of us (to say), “I’d like to
know when those heavy showers and thunderstorms (to begin)?”
“Ah! They (to come) in the afternoon, you’ll see,” we (to say) to each other.
But there (to be) no rain on that day.
The next morning we (to read), “The weather (to be) warm and fine, no
we (to go) to the country. we (to want) to have a good rest. But it (to begin)
to rain hard, and it (to rain) the whole day. we (to come) home quite wet, with
colds and rheumatism all over us.
(After Jerome K. Jerome)
VIII. Прочитайте письмо, употребите глаголы в скобках в нужном вре- мени. London, May 20.
I can’t say that I (to be) fine. I (to be) here in London for two months now.
The weather (to be) nasty here. It (to rain) since morning. I (to think) it always
(to rain) here in spring. Anyway, it (to rain) every Saturday and Sunday since we
(to come) here two months ago. Besides it (to be) foggy and windy and we stay
home almost every weekend. And I (to feel) unhappy and bored.
Last Sunday the weather forecast (to promise) fine weather, and we (to plan)
a sightseeing tour. But in the morning when I (to wake up) it (to start) pouring
and it never (to stop), besides the strong wind (to blow). I (to hope) next Sunday
(to be) fine and sunny and I (to be able) to see something of London. when I
(to have) a chance to see the sights of London I (to write) a long letter to you.
test 12 1. John … into a car accident yesterday. A. had got
B. was getting
d. has got
2. Do you know that Mike and Julia … madly in love for the last 5 years. A. were
C. had been
B. have been
3. When I came into their room they … supper in silence. A. were having
C. are having
d. had had
4. It was three o’clock and the moon … over the quiet sea. A. had been shining
B. had shone
d. was shining
5. the students … an important composition last lesson. A. written
B. was writing
d. were writing
6. Who… Coca-Cola? A. had invented
C. did invent
B. was inventing
7. I hear you … your last exam. My congratulations! A. pass
C. will pass
B. have passed
8. What … tomorrow at five o’clock? A. will you do
C. you will do
B. will you have done
d. will you be doing
9. Your family usually celebrates holidays at home, … ? A. doesn’t it
C. does it
B. isn’t she
d. is it
10. by three o’clock tomorrow Mr. Fennel … to London. A. will have flown
C. will fly
B. will be flying
d. are flying
11. they … from the University in 2015. A. are graduating
C. have graduated
B. will be graduating
d. will graduate
12. Will … the translation by the end of the week? A. you be doing
C. you have done
B. you do
d. you are doing
13. he apologized that he … her. A. hadn’t phoned
C. didn’t phone
B. hasn’t phoned
d. won’t phone
14. how often … your relatives living abroad? A. do you visit
C. are you visiting
B. did you visit
d. you visit
15. the US President works and lives in the White house, … ? A. don’t he
C. isn’t he
B. doesn’t he
d. does he
16. When … your last exam?- two days ago. A. did you pass
C. have you passed
B. do you pass
d. you are passing
17. the workers … the school by the beginning of the next school-year. A. will repair
C. have repaired
B. will have repaired
18. Mr. hunt ... in boston for a week already, when I come to visit him. A. will be working
C. will have been working
B. will work
d. is working
19. the student has been working at this problem for several years al- ready, …? A. doesn’t he
C. didn’t he
B. isn’t he
d. hasn’t he
20. We … for the taxi for twenty minutes when it arrived. A. are waiting
C. had been waiting
B. have waited
СТРАдАТеЛьНый ЗАЛоГ (PASSIVe VoICe)
I. Переведите предложения на русский язык. определите залог и время сказуемого. 1. An interesting problem was discussed yesterday at the meeting. 2. The
newspapers haven’t been brought yet. 3. New houses are built every year.
4. The experiment will have been finished by the end of the week. 5. Much time
is given to the study of the new methods of research. 6. The foreign delegation
will be met tomorrow morning. 7. our students are being tested in room 125
now. 8. The children were being shown a cartoon when I entered the hall. 9. He
was asked many questions at the exam. 10. The job had been done by last Friday.
11. when was your city founded? 12. The construction of the new bank will be
completed very soon. 13. we haven’t been impressed by the new performance.
14. The academic year is divided into two terms. 15. Their house had been sold
by September last year. 16. oxford and Cambridge are often called oxbridge to
denote elitarian education. 17. The Christmas tree was decorated by the children
two days ago. 18. I came late because I had been shown a wrong way. 19. In
modern world people are bombarded by advertising.
II. Соотнесите известные изобретения и открытия с именами изобрета- телей. Приведите свои примеры изобретений и открытий. Telephone
The first book
Theory of relativity
Theory of evolution
III. Совместите левую и правую колонки. The work is done
The work was done
The work is being done
The work has been done
The work will have been done yesterday from 10 till 11 a. m.
The work will be done
tomorrow by 12 o’clock
The work was being done two days ago
The work had been done
by the time I came
IV. Составьте предложения, употребите глаголы в форме Present, Past, Future Simple Passive. Поставьте общие и специальные вопросы к дан- ным предложениям. 1. our University
five years ago.
2. The students
twice a year.
3. This new play
4. our new plan
5. The documents
6. A new blank
a month ago.
7. Many good films
8. The monument
9. The newspapers
10. The message
in two minutes.
11. Her new novel
12. This cottage
V. ответьте на вопросы о вашем учебном заведении. 1. when was your Institute founded? 2. where is it located? 3. what faculties
are housed in the building? 4. what disciplines are taught at different faculties?
5. which subjects are paid special attention to at your faculty? 6. who is your
faculty headed by? 7. what document will you be given after graduating?
8. what foreign languages are taught at the Institute? 9. Are your teachers
supported with the latest teaching aids? 10. How many times a year are the
students tested? 11. How often are the scientific conferences
organized at your Institute? 12. when will the next students’ scientific
conference be held? 13. what kind of sport competitions are conducted at
your Institute? 14. when is the Institute birthday celebrated?
VI. Употребите нужную форму глагола в Passive. 1. Six public holidays (to celebrate) in Great Britain. 2. My next birthday
(to mark) at the restaurant. 3. London (to divide) into two parts by the river
Thames. 4. The Loch Ness monster (to see) for the first time in 1923. 5. The
six ravens (to keep) in the Tower of London for centuries. 6. Queen elizabeth
II (to crown) in 1937. 7. “Hamlet” (to write) by william Shakespeare. 8. The
statue of Liberty (to call) the grandest lady in the world. 9. The decision (not
to take) yet. 10. where are the guests? – They (to show) around the building.
11. All the textbooks (to sell) before the school year began. 12. The results of
the competition (not to announce) yet. 13. The students (to examine) from 10 till
12 o’clock yesterday. 14. The work (to do) by the end of the next month.
VII. выберите правильный глагол в Active или Passive. Переведите предложения на русский язык. 1. It was Popov who (invented/ was invented) the radio. 2. Usually the
students (are tested/ tested) twice a year. 3. A new grammar rule (will explain/
will be explained) at the next lesson. 4. The work (had been done/ had done)
when I arrived. 5. The Hermitage (contains/ is contained) a priceless collection of
paintings. 6. The monument (was restored/ restored) in spite of many difficulties.
7. Mr. Clarke (was driven/ was driving) home, when he met a strange man on the
road. 8. “New York Times” (is reading/ is read) by millions of Americans. 9. The
first book (was publishing/ was published) by Gutenberg. 10. The documents
(will be signed/ will sign) tomorrow.11.They (haven’t received/haven’t been
received) any good results.12.we (have been offered/have offered) a nice room
at the hotel. 13. when (were you told/ you were told) this story? 14. will we
(meet/be met) at the station?
VIII. Переведите предложения на английский язык. 1. Когда будет опубликована наша книга? 2. Комнату прибирали, когда я
вошел. 3. доклад еще не обсудили. 4. Это слово используется редко в анг-
лийском языке. 5. за доктором только что послали. 6. Тихо! Сообщают важ-
ные новости по телевизору. 7. Мою квартиру ремонтируют уже три месяца.
8. в этом вузе студентам преподают два иностранных языка. 9. Машину
продали два дня назад. 10. Его не пригласили на вечеринку. 11. перевод
будет закончен к следующему понедельнику. 12. Эта опера была написана
100 лет назад. 13. вашингтон основан в 1790 г. и был назван в честь пер-
вого президента США. 14. Улицы в Нью-йорке называются авеню и стрит.
15. Акрополь был построен древними греками. 16. Факс будет отправлен
через десять минут. 17. золотой век английской литературы связан с име-
нем Шекспира. 18. Об этом фильме много говорят. 19. Этот кинотеатр был
построен до того, как мы приехали сюда. 20. в Англии Новый год не праз-
днуют так широко, как Рождество.
IX. Переведите английские пословицы и дайте русский эквивалент. объясните смысл пословиц по-английски. Проиллюстрируйте упот- ребление одной из пословиц в конкретной ситуации. 1. Lost time is never found again.
2. rome wasn’t built in a day.
3. don’t fry the fish before it is caught.
4. The devil is not so black as he is painted.
5. He who serves to everybody is paid by nobody.
6. Ask no questions and you’ll be told no lies.
7. what is done, can’t be undone.
X. Прослушайте и прочитайте следующие шутки. Назовите глаголы в Passive Voice. инсценируйте шутки. 1) T e a c h e r: Sam, do you know when rome was built?
S a m: It was built during the night.
T e a c h e r: why do you think so?
S a m: Because everybody knows the proverb: rome wasn’t built in a
2) M o t h e r: do you know, honey, why little chickens come out of eggs?
L i t t l e s o n: of course I do. They know that they will be boiled if they
XI. Прочитайте текст, употребите нужную форму глагола в Passive. Пе- рескажите текст. Coca-Cola Coca-Cola is enjoyed all over the world. «Соса-Соlа» and «соkе» (to register)
trade marks which identify the same product of the Coca-Cola Company. About
2 billion gallons (to sell) every year in over one hundred and sixty countries.
The drink (to invent) by dr. John Pemberton in Atlanta on 8 May 1886, but
it (to give) the name Coca-Cola by his partner, Frank robinson. In the first year,
only nine drinks a day (to sell).
The business (to buy) by a man called Asa Candler in 1888, and the first
factory (to open) in dallas, Texas, in 1895. Coca-Cola still (to make) there.
Billion of bottles and cans (to produce) since 1895. diet Coke (to make) since
1982, and over the years many clever ads (to use) to sell the product.
The fight for the market makes it difficult for customers to choose between
Coca-Cola and Pepsi nowadays, but it is certain that Coca-Cola (to drink) far
into the twenty-first century.
XII. Прочитайте текст, употребите глаголы в скобках в Active или Passive. A. The six ravens (to keep) in the Tower of London now for centuries.
They used to come in from essex for food cracks when the Tower (to use) as a
palace. over the years people (to think) that if the ravens ever left the Tower, the
monarchy would fall. So Charles II (to decree) that six ravens should always (to
keep) in the Tower and should (to pay) a wage from the treasury. Sometimes they
(to live) as long as 25 years but their wings (to clip) so they can’t fly away, and
when a raven (to die), another raven (to bring) from essex.
B. The ceremony of Trooping the Colour (to be) one of the most fascinating.
It (to stage) in front of Buckingham Palace. It (to hold) annually on the monarch’s
“official” birthday which is the second Saturday in June. Her Majesty Queen
elizabeth II (to be) Colonel-in-Chief of the Life Guards. She (to escort) by Horse
Guards riding to the Parade. The ceremony (to accompany) by the music of
bands. The procession (to head) by the Queen.