test 13 1. In Japan people would ... if you blow your nose in public. A. been shocked
C. have been shocked
B. be shocked
d. be shock
2. Agatha- Christie didn’t go to school, but ... privately. A. was educated
C. had educated
B. was being educated
d. be educated
3. Pablo Picasso’s paintings ... of geometric shapes: triangles or squares. A. have been make
C. were make
B. are made
d. are being made
4. America’s first college, harvard, ... in Massachusetts in 1636. A. had been founded
C. was found
B. is founded
d. was founded
5. When … a new grammar rule … to the students? – At the next lesson. 6
A. will be explained
C. has been explained
B. was explained
d. is explained
6. Philips and Sony companies … the first CDs in 1982. A. was marketed
C. had been marketed
d. were marketed
7. When was this bridge …? A. be reconstructing
B. be reconstruct
8. the children of Sparta ... military education. A. had been given
C. will be given
B. was given
d. were given
9. the Golden Age of english literature … with the name of Shake- speare. A. is connected
C. has been connected
B. has connected
d. was being connected
10. Many accidents nowadays … by careless driving. A. are causing
C. are caused
d. have caused
11. our luggage ... already by the customs officer. A. is checked
C. has been checked
B. was checked
d. be checked
12. I … any email messages today yet. A. haven’t sent
C. am not sending
B. wasn’t sent
d. haven’t send
13. the problem ... for three years, but they haven’t got any results. A. has been studied
C. was studied
B. has being studied
d. is studied
14. the tower of London ... by William the Conqueror in 1078. A. had been built
C. was build
B. was built
d. had built
15. When I came to the party the Champagne ... . A. was drunk
C. was drinking
B. had drunk
d. had been drunk
16. Don’t enter the classroom! the students … there. A. are being tested
C. have been tested
B. are tested
d. is tested
17. the letter “s” ... twice in the word message. A. is being used
C. is using
B. is used
d. has been used
18. When I entered the room, the children ... a cartoon. A. had watch
C. were watched
B. were being watched
d. were watching
19. A foreign delegation ... at the railway station tomorrow morning. A. is met
C. will be met
B. was met
d. will be being met
20. Listen! A very popular melody ... . A. is playing
C. has been played
B. is being played
d. had been played
СоГЛАСовАНие вРеМёН. КоСвеННАя Речь (THe SeQUeNCe oF TeNSeS. rePorTed SPeeCH)
I. Переведите следующие предложения в косвенную речь. a) 1. “I’m taking my final exams tomorrow’’, he said. 2. “It isn’t so foggy
today as it was yesterday”, mother said. 3. “we have a lift but very often it
doesn’t work”, they said. 4. “You can keep this book if you like it”, said my
friend. 5. “I hope Mary won’t be late”, said Nell. 6. “The papers were delivered
yesterday”, the secretary said. 7. “I didn’t hear anything. The music was playing
too loud”, the woman said. 8. “My daughter was still sleeping at that time”, said
Mrs.Gray. 9. “I’ll call you tomorrow”, Mary promised. 10. “I haven’t heard the
news yet”, complained Jane.11. The teacher said, “ water boils at 100
b) 1. “Are you leaving today or tomorrow?” asked the secretary. 2. “How
far is it? And how long will it take me to get there?” asked the man. 3. “why
is he looking for a new job?” I asked. 4. “How long have you been learning
english?” asked the examiner. 5. “did you enjoy the holiday last year?” John
asked. 6. “what were you laughing at when I entered?” the boy asked. 7. “will
you stay here long?” Mum wondered. 8. “who put salt in my coffee?” he
asked. 9. “when did the students begin the experiment?” the teacher asked.
10. “where will you spend the next weekend?” my friend asked. 11. “what do
you mean?” I asked my boss.
c) 1. “don’t eat too much”, I advised her. 2. “Take these pills twice a
day”, said the doctor. 3. “Follow me”, ordered the policeman. 4. “write to me
as soon as you can”, said his wife. 5. “Be careful crossing the road”, mother said.
6. “Make the coffee a bit stronger”, I begged. 7. “don’t take off your coat”, she
said to him. 8. “don’t forget your sandwiches”, mother said. 9. “Never say die”,
she said to me. 10. “Ask any questions you like”, the professor said.
d) 1. “You ought not to drive so fast”, said the policeman. 2. “She must
study hard if she wants to succeed”, he said. 3. “You must try my home-made
pie”, she said. 4. “Can I go home now?”, the girl asked. 5. “I won’t be able to
meet you at the station”, he said. 6. The Notice reads: “Pets aren’t allowed here”.
7. “After lecture I have to go home”, she said. 8. “You should try to avoid eating
fattening food”, the doctor said. 9. “You mustn’t play with knives matches”,
mother said. 10. “Five years ago I couldn’t speak english”, Kate said. 11. “You
don’t have to retell this text”, the teacher said.
II. Переведите предложения в косвенную речь, употребляя глаголы to thank, to greet, to congratulate, to wish, to explain, to call, to offer, to introduce. О б р а з е ц: She said, “Happy Birthday to you!”
She congratulated me with my birthday.
1. He said, “Good morning”. 2. Lucy said, “Congratulations!” 3. “Have
a glass of juice”, he said to me. 4. “welcome home, my dear”, said his wife.
5. “Many happy returns of your birthday”, we said to Lucy. 6. “Thank you very
much”, answered she. 7. “Miss Lemon, this is Mr. Jackson and his wife”, he
said. 8. “You pressed the wrong button”, said the mechanic. 9. “Have a nice
weekend!” mother said. 10. “would you like a drop of brandy?” the young man
said. 11. “Help yourself to the sweets, please”, the hostess said. 12. He said,
III. Заполните пропуски в предложениях глаголами said, told или talked. 1. The teacher … the children that water boils at 100° C. 2. The speaker
… that the peoples want piece. 3. At the meeting the chairman … about the
problems facing the company. 4. Mrs.Taylor … us that she wouldn’t come to
meet us. 5. The doctor … that I would have to rest for at least a week. 6. Tom
… that it was a nice party but I didn’t like it. 7. Jack … me that he was enjoying
his new job. 8. Sally … everybody about her holiday in Germany. 9. The shop-
assistant … me to read the instructions before switching on the machine. 10. The
doctor … that I should eat more fruit and vegetables. 11. Mother … Jane not to
come late. 12. The teacher … the student that she was pleased with his answer.
IV. Поставьте сказуемое главного предложения в Past Simple и произве- дите соответствующие изменения в придаточных предложениях. 1. Nobody knows how this incident occurred. 2. She asks if the plan is
changed. 3. we believe that russian sportsmen will win the first prize in skiing
competitions. 4. Mark says he will drive a car himself. 5. The mother asks the
teacher if her child studies well. 6. The boss says he doesn’t expect anybody to
come this evening. 7. The head of the laboratory says that he is satisfied with the
result of the experiment. 8. The teacher explains that water boils at 100
C. 9. we
ask her whether it is possible to master english in such a short period. 10. The
professor asks the student why he has chosen nuclear physics of all professions.
11. we are told that we must consult the schedule. 12. My friend asks me if I
know who acts in the leading role in this performance. 13. The notice says not
to cross the road in this place. 14. The students are asked when results of their
written exam will be known. 15. The guide explains us that we can visit the
museum only tomorrow.
V. Переведите предложения на английский язык. 1. Ученикам сказали, что земля вращается вокруг солнца, а луна вра-
щается вокруг земли. 2. Он сказал, что ему будет 20 лет в декабре. 3. Она
спросила меня, люблю ли я детей. 4. Мама сказала, что накажет ребёнка,
если он не будет вести себя хорошо. 5. я извинился за то, что прибыл очень
поздно. 6. джулия настаивала на том, что мы должны идти вместе с ней.
7. Командир приказал солдатам стоять смирно. 8. Хозяйка предложила нам
выпить чашечку кофе. 9. Начальник попросил не беспокоить его в тече-
ние часа. 10. Нелли сказала, что она не может позволить себе купить такие
дорогие туфли. 11. я поинтересовалась, действительно ли они так много
путешествовали в прошлом году. 12. Молодой человек объяснил, что пос-
ледние два года он работал за границей. 13. я извинилась и сказала, что не
могу сейчас разговаривать. 14. полицейский приказал следовать за ним.
15. доктор посоветовал миссис барни придерживаться диеты. 16. Фрэнк
поинтересовался, что я предпочитаю: оперу или балет. 17. полицейские
спросили, как долго мистер Фокс снимает комнату в нашем доме. 18. Учи-
тель спросил меня, какой язык я изучал в школе.
VI. Прочитайте текст, замените прямую речь на косвенную. Following Advice Not all advice is good. I have a friend who likes to give advice. He is very
much interested in the question of rational diet. one day he brought me something
in a packet. “what is it?” I asked. “open it and see,” he answered.
I opened it and looked, but could not understand what it was.
“It is tea,” he explained.
“oh!” I said. “I thought it was snuff.”
“well, it is not exactly tea,” he continued, “it’s a sort of tea. You take one cup
of that, only one cup, and you will never take any other sort of tea.”
“Thank you,” I said. “I shall be very glad to take it.”
He was quite right. I saw that very well when I took only one cup. I felt I did
not want any other tea after this. In fact, I felt I did not want anything, I only
wished to die quietly. He came to see me after a week.
“do you remember that tea I gave you?” he said.
“oh, yes, I remember it very well,” I answered, “I feel the taste of it in my
mouth even now.”
“did it upset you?” he asked.
“Yes, at the time it did,” I answered, “but it is all right now.” He thought for
“You were quite right,” he said, “It was snuff, a very special snuff from
“I can’t say I liked it,” I answered.
“I made a mistake,” he went on, “I mixed up the packets.”
“well, you will not make another mistake,” I said, “at least not with me,
because I promise that I shall never follow your advice in the future.”
(After Jerome K. Jerome)
VII. Прочитайте текст и напишите его в прямой речи в форме диалога. воспроизведите диалог в парах.
the Marriage Proposal John greeted Moira and asked how she was. She told him she was fine and
asked about him. He said he felt wonderful because they were together again. He
added that it had been a long time since their holiday in Paris. She said she had
loved every minute in Paris and that she would never forget it. She asked if they
could go back there next spring. He said that he loved her. He asked if she would
marry him and come to Paris with him for their honeymoon. She said that she
would and that she loved him, too.
test 14 1. the man wanted to know which bus… A. he should take
C. he takes
B. should he take
d. did he take
2. the shop-assistant asked me … that coat. A. if I liked
C. do I liked
B. if I like
d. did I like
3. I asked my friend why … for a new job. A. was she looking
C. she looks
B. she was looking
d. did she look
4. the teacher asked who … that awful noise. A. is making
C. was made
B. did make
d. was making
5. the examiner asked me how long …english. A. had I learnt
C. I was learning
B. I had been learning
d. I had been learnt
6. Mary promised that she … the following day. A. will call
B. would have called
d. would call
7. the pupil answered that Paris … the capital of France. A. was
C. had been
d. is being
8. the book said that einstein … the theory of relativity. A. invented
C. has invented
d. had been inventing
9. Mr. Gray said that his son … from oxford University three years ago. A. graduated
C. would graduate
B. had graduated
d. was graduated
10. Diana wondered what … if I failed my exam. A. would I do
C. I had done
B. I would do
d. I did
11. the girl admitted that she … such a good time since she fell ill. A. wouldn’t have
C. didn’t have
B. hasn’t have
d. hadn’t had
12. My brother asked me why … so early that day. A. I had get up
C. had I to get up
B. I had to get up
d. must I get up
13. She … the porter to take her luggage to room 25. A. said
C. asked to
14. the pupils answered all together that five times five … twenty five. A. was
B. had been
15. Jerry said proudly that his sister … many famous people. A. had been interviewed
C. was interviewed
B. had interviewed
d. has interviewed
16. the policemen wondered how the criminal … to escape from the prison. A. had managed
C. would manage
17. the doctor recommended … more fruit and vegetables. A. me to eat
C. I to eat
B. that I eat
d. me eat
18. Mary asked us how much … to park there. A. does it cost
C. it cost
B. did it cost
d. had it cost
19. the teacher told the pupils … at the park. A. not shout
C. don’t shout
B. not to shout
d. to not shout
20. At the meeting the chairman stated that their company… great prob- lems . A. had facing
C. will face
B. were facing
d. was facing
МодАЛьНые ГЛАГоЛы и их эКвивАЛеНТы (ModAL VerBS)
I. Переведите предложения на русский язык и проанализируйте упот- ребление модальных глаголов. 1. every educated person must know at least one foreign language. 2. one
can go to Moscow by train or by plane. 3. Could you speak english at the age of
five? 4. May I ask you a question? 5. Nobody could translate that article. 6. Must
I answer your question? – No, you needn`t. 7. Alcoholic drinks may not be sold
to people under 18. 8. You needn`t come so early. 9. Students are allowed to use
dictionaries at the exam. 10. I think, I` ll be able to pass my exams well. 11. Mr.
Brown had to work hard last week. 12. only the children of noble parents can
study at oxford and Cambridge University. 13. Passengers are not allowed to
smoke on board a plane.14. I didn’t have to pay for my mobile phone as my sister
did it. 15. After leaving schools children have to make important decisions about
future profession, job, marriage and home. 16. A notice in the picture gallery
says: «Sticks, drinks, umbrellas aren’t allowed here». 17. You mustn’t wash this
sweater in hot water. 18. The meeting is to begin at five o’clock. don’t be late.
II. Заполните пропуски необходимыми модальными глаголами (can, must, may, have to, ought to, should, needn’t). 1. englishmen always … take umbrellas when leaving home. 2. … I leave
for a while? – Yes, you … 3. You … speak english well, if you don` t have good
practice. 4. dentists say that people … eat very many sweets. 5. … you pass
me the sugar, please? 6. I live far from my office and … go to work by bus.
7. drivers … stop when they see red light. 8. Little children … watch TV too
late at night. 9. People … take care of their “lesser brothers”. 10. Shall I go
shopping? No, you … , we have enough food. 11. Students … miss their classes.
12. Betty asked her mother: “…I go the disco tonight?” 13. If you are ill, you
… consult a doctor. 14. You … leave your luggage here. 15. This child … spend
more time in the open air. 16. A coding programme … be used when sending
III. выберите правильный модальный глагол. 1. Shop-assistants (must, can) be polite to the customers. 2. Farmers (have
to, may) get up early. 3. one (shouldn’t, don` t have to) be rude to the people.
4. I (will have to, will be able to) wake up early tomorrow, my train starts at 7.30
a.m. 5. I’m afraid you (can`t, don’t have to) park your car here. 6. Policemen
(may, must) wear uniforms. 7. doctors (can, have to) work at the weekends.
8. You (can`t, mustn’t) turn time back. 9. The notice at the gallery: Umbrellas,
sticks, cameras (aren’t allowed, aren’t able) here. 10. we (needn’t, can’t) hurry,
we have a lot of time. 11. (Could, may) you pass me the menu, please? 12. If
you go to France you (can, should) learn some French words. 13. All the tickets
were sold, so we (could, had to) buy the seats on the balcony. 14. one (shouldn’t,
mustn’t) cross the street on the red light. 15. I (was to, was able to) wait for her
at the railway station. 16. e-mail messages (must, can) travel through different
IV. Найдите ошибки в предложениях и исправьте их. 1. My dog can to run very fast.
2. You needn’t to hurry, we have plenty of time.
3. don’t sit on this broken chair. You should fall down.
4. You might not be late for the classes, it`s against the rule.
5. Young people ought to listen to their parents.
6. would I introduce Mr. Black to you?
7. Actors may learn a lot of dialogs by heart.
8. Next month I had to study harder to pass my exams.
9. will I help you with your heavy bag?
10. You may always keep your promise, if you want people to trust you.
V. Употребите модальный глагол в скобках в нужном времени. 1. He (have to) stay at the office until the report was ready. 2. we (be not
allowed) to enter the concert hall after the third bell yesterday. 3. You (have to)
repeat the material of the lectures before the exams. 4. (can) you speak english
at the age of seven? 5. The meeting (be to) begin at 5 p.m. yesterday. 6. Mike
(not be able) to take part at the sport competitions tomorrow. 7. If you are ill you
(should) consult a doctor. 8. why didn’t you come to the lectures yesterday? – I
(can`t), I was ill. 9. Next year I (have to) pass five exams. 10. The bus didn`t
come and we (have to) go home on foot. 11. david can’t drive now but next year
he ( to be able) to drive. 12. Max (be to) meet Mary at 3 p.m. last Monday, but
she didn`t come. 13. Mozart (can) play the piano at the age of 5. 14. Last year
she (can not) english as well as she speaks it now.
VI. Составьте вопросительные предложения с модальным глаголом have to из следующих слов. 1. time / you / up / what / have / get / do / to ?
2. job / wear / have / in / uniform/ you / your / to / do / a ?
3. books / have / many / you / buy / so / why / did / to ?
4. States / visa / get / to / to / go / you / do / have / a / the / to ?
5. John / does / pills / take / often / his / how / have / to ?
6. plant / carefully / you / after / look / do / have / to / this / very ?
7. have / earn / you / money / year / will / next / to / extra ?
VII. Переведите предложения на английский язык. 1. Можно мне задать вам вопрос? 2. в этом музее не разрешается фо-
тографировать. 3. Английские школьники обязаны носить униформу.
4. Некоторые животные способны ходить сразу после рождения. 5. Нельзя
пользоваться шпаргалками на экзамене. 6. вам придётся подождать. Рек-
тор занят. 7. Следует заботиться о пожилых людях и инвалидах. 8. Мы не
сможем принять участие в соревновании завтра. 9. Нам пришлось остаться
дома, так как погода была плохая. 10. Группа туристов должна прибыть за-
втра утром. 11. вы могли бы подробно изложить ваш план? 12. вам следует
встретиться и обсудить этот вопрос. 13. я не смог прийти на концерт вче-
ра, я был болен. 14. Тебе не нужно идти в магазин, все продукты есть дома.
15. Где ты мог потерять свой мобильный телефон? 16. Ему нужно будет
отвезти туристов в гостиницу. 17. Ты можешь дать мне рецепт этого торта?
18. Сколько экзаменов нужно было сдать студентам в прошлую сессию?
19. Когда мы сможем увидеть результаты вашей работы? 20. что я должен
делать, когда придут гости?