52 A Grammar of English Practice Book for Law Students
23. Legislatures are places where elected representatives of
the people meet to speak, to debate, to discuss proposed laws and
other national business.
Exercise 58. Insert the appropriate form of the Participle, translate the sentences into Russian: 1. An increasing number of young people are getting involved
in criminal activity according to the report (publishing / published)
2. Precedent is a decision (making / made) by a court on some
case that serves example for other courts to follow.
3. A valuable consideration is something a person has given, or
done, or agreed not to do when (making / made) a contract.
4. The party (accusing / accused) of a crime or a civil offence is
called the defendant in both kinds of actions.
5. Apart from the high price the terms of payments and delivery
(proposing / proposed)by that ﬁrm do not suit us.
6. Jury is a group of ordinary people (selecting / selected) at
random to decide the facts of the case and give a verdict.
7. When (making / made) new codes the lawmakers were inﬂu-
enced by the codes (producing / produced) in the 7th century under
the direction of Roman Emperor Justinian.
8. In Great Britain judges have to apply (existing / existed)
precedents to each new case.
9. Not every wrong (committing / committed) in the society is
remediable in tort.
10. The Supreme Court of Great Britain consists of 12 judges
(appointing / appointed) by Her Majesty.
11. The House of Commons is an (electing / elected) body, it
consists of 650 Members of Parliament (MPs) who each represent a